Coronavirus: What you need to know
Get the latest hospital updates, including visitation policies, in response to the Coronavirus. Learn More
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is recommended by physicians for those who have been diagnosed with chronic pulmonary disease and is covered by most insurance. Although Pulmonary Rehabilitation can’t cure your lung disease, it is a specialized program that helps patients improve quality of life, strength and endurance, breathing efforts, and physical and emotional well-being. Our team of doctors, nurses, physical therapists and exercise physiologists is here to help.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation at the University of Vermont Health Network - Elizabethtown Community Hospital includes:
- Regular Exercise
- Each session includes an exercise component focusing on cardiovascular endurance and fitness as well as strength. These sessions are heavily monitored to ensure appropriate exertion and oxygen levels are met.
- Educational Programs
- This component focuses on COPD as well as other chronic lung diseases to provide you with a comprehensive scope of helpful information.
- Psychosocial Support
- Addressing the increased risk for depression, anxiety, and other emotional problems is critical for the success and overall health of each patient doing the program.
We offer three 8-week programs per year. The number of participants for each program ranges from 5 to 10 patients. For more information on the program schedule and to reserve your spot, please call (518) 873-3170.
The 8-week program consists of the following criteria:
- Two 2-hour sessions each week, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:00 – 4:00PM
- Within each session the breakdown is as follows:
- Incoming vitals (Blood pressure, Oxygen, Heart Rate)
- Hooking up to Oxygen Tanks that will be provided by rehab to those participants requiring oxygen, allowing you to conserve your own oxygen tanks.
- Warm-Up Routine
- Balance Exercises
- Exercises using Dumbbells
- Exercises using Resistance Bands
- Education Topics (vary from session to session)
- Aerobic Exercise Session including any one or more of the following pieces of cardio equipment:
- Rowing Machine
- Recumbent Bike
- Arm Ergometer
- Session Wrap-Up & Final Vitals
*During the Aerobic Exercise Session, health professionals are continuously monitoring and recording various components such as oxygen readings, heart rate, blood pressure, exercise minutes, steps, METs, Watts, Resistance Levels, etc.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation: Am I a Candidate?
Candidates for Pulmonary Rehabilitation include individuals of all ages who have had a pulmonary problem including:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Lung Cancer and Lung Cancer Surgery
- Lung Volume reduction surgery before and after Lung Transplantation
A physician will prescribe this program to control your symptoms, increase exercise tolerance and improve quality of life for patients.
What are the Goals & Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
- Reduce and control breathing difficulties and other symptoms
- Stay out of the hospital and reduce medical costs
- Increase physical fitness by being continuously monitored by health professionals
- Have a healthy lifestyle. This includes being active, eating healthy, keeping weight within optimal limits, and not smoking.
- Have more energy and less shortness of breath
- Feel less depressed, stressed, or worried by learning affective coping strategies
- Return to your usual activities and teach you how to live better with your lung condition
- Get support from your rehab team and other patients in the rehab program
- In some cases, lessen the need for medication and extra oxygen
What you need to start the program
- Sent by the Referring Physician or Pulmonologist:
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Complete Blood Count, General Chemistry
- Chest X-Ray
- Latest Office Note
- Medication List
- Patient Demographics / Current Insurance Information
- MD Signed Referral to the program
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Email Contact: email@example.com