Coronavirus: What you need to know
Get the latest hospital updates, including visitation policies, in response to the Coronavirus. Learn More
University of Vermont Health Network – Elizabethtown Community Hospital Celebrates Recipients of the First Dr. Herbert Savel Education Fund Awards
Elizabethtown, N.Y. (October 19, 2018) – The University of Vermont Health Network - Elizabethtown Community Hospital recently announced the recipients of the first Dr. Herbert Savel Education Fund.
The endowment fund was created to strengthen access to high-quality health care in our community by providing financial and tuition assistance to Elizabethtown Community Hospital employees seeking to obtain advanced degrees and certifications. The fund was created through a significant financial gift by Dr. Savel, an internist and longtime attending physician at Elizabethtown Community Hospital.
“We are grateful to Dr. Savel for giving us this opportunity to both invest in the future of our employees and in the future of health care in our community,” said John Remillard, president of Elizabethtown Community Hospital. “It can be challenging to attract and retain employees in smaller communities; Dr. Savel’s fund will help us support the talented and dedicated employees who make a difference in the lives of ever patient and family member who walks through our doors.”
In this first round of awards, nine employees received awards ranging from approximately $1,800 to $4,000. The recipients are pursuing degrees in nursing and healthcare administration, and medical coding and EMT certifications. The recipients are:
- Amanda Whisher, Healthcare Administration; Champlain College.
- Joy Armstrong, Professional Coder Certification; American Academy of Professional Coders.
- Kellie Bilow, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN); Western Governors University.
- Tracie Gay, Registered Nurse (RN) at North Country Community College.
- Morgan Meachem, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN); Utica College.
- Monica Mitchell, Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN); CV-Tech; Plattsburgh.
- Joanna Knight, EMT Certification; North Country Community College.
- Suzanne Riley, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN); Aspen University.
- Kathleen Nasner, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN); Chamberlin University.
“We are so proud of this inaugural class of award recipients and excited to help them advance in their current fields, or in some cases, to enter into a new, more challenging or rewarding field,” said Michelle Meachem, director of Human Resources for Elizabethtown Community Hospital.
All full and part-time employees at Elizabethtown Community Hospital’s two campuses and six primary care health centers are eligible to apply for funding through the Dr. Herbert Savel Education Fund. Applicants must be in good standing and show proof of enrollment in an accredited undergraduate or graduate course or certificate program. The award can be in addition to the hospital’s existing tuition reimbursement program.
Recipients are selected by a multidisciplinary committee comprised of hospital, physician and community representatives. Awards will be made twice a year. The next round of awards will be available for the 2019 spring semester.
For more information on careers at Elizabethtown Community Hospital, please visit https://www.ech.org/Careers/.